Less than a week remains until the submission deadline for the Gower Band Terra Nova competition, and it seems that the more work I do on my piece, the more I realize needs to be done...
I was fortunate that last Wednesday we were able to spend the entire seminar class on my piece, so I left with a big list of suggestions.
Some of these suggestions I have yet to get to, such as creating a part for electric/double bass, creating a percussion ID chart and upping the size of expressive text so that they can be read more easily. These will come within the next few days, but first I occupied myself with continuing to fill out the score, creating more "tutti" moments as suggested by a couple of people in the class, and attempting to ensure all (or at least most) parts have more notes than rests.
It was also suggested that I attempt to go too far in the chaos of my ending instead of stopping short of what could be something incredible for fear of over doing it. I didn't add in length to my current ending, but I'm still open to doing so. Instead I added more moving lines, dissonance, and instruments to the texture which I found to make it much more effective!
A couple of weeks ago it was suggested that I add an introduction to my piece to ramp up the energy and build anticipation before the explosive first theme. I used a few small ideas that are repeated in each voice building from the lowest voices of the band to the highest, taking us from a quiet and mysteriously low rumbling, to a barrage of dissonance. I'm not entirely satisfied with how it sounds, but the general idea works well for me. I will continue to tweak it over the next few days and see how it goes.